[nabs-l] Of Things that Matter

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 21:42:51 UTC 2011

I'm sorry, but it's narrow-mindedness and defensive remarks like these that
make me believe you guys miss the entire point of such a study, and of
scientific inquiry in general. Just because sex education has never been a
problem for you in particular doesn't make that so for every individual in
the population. N=1 is not reliable enough. If you don't personally feel
comfortable talking about your sex knowledge with a researcher, don't.
Populations sharing a trait in common are studied ALL THE TIME, as is the
general population, and believe it or not, the NFB and its affiliates have
and do support such research as it relates to the blind community. I don't
see how it is any more demeaning or irrelevant than, say, a study focused on
the elderly as a group, and their knowledge of technology. You might say
that the elderly are in no way incapable of learning about technology and
such a study is insulting or irrelevant. You could reasonably make all of
the same arguments that were made here about this, but such studies have
been conducted and have proven useful to both the researchers and the
population, even if not every single elderly person has had trouble picking
up new technology. I think thinks a little more consideration from a
logical, scientific vantage point and a little less defensiveness could go a
long way.