[nabs-l] A national standard, obtaining electronic text

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:29:04 UTC 2011

Joshua,

Many departments for the blind are only required to purchase a note
taker or a computer.  I trained in Iowa and they were going to purchase
me both a PAC Mate and laptop with JAWS, but I moved to Nebraska before
I started school again and here, they would only purchase me one or the
other.

A lot of this depends on funding and placement of funding.  Directors
need to actively focus on gaining funding for necessary programs and
services as well as working to properly distributed that funding where
it will benefit clients the most.

If in this situation, I would advise students choose a laptop, or
netbook (which is what I use) so you have the ability to take notes as
well as complete assignments.  It does make using Braille a problem, but
some universities will supply Braille material if requested.  My DSO
outsources, but they can get my material in Braille.

Also, I recommend purchasing your own technology if possible.  I know
much of it is expensive, but often necessary.  Since going back to
university, I have had to buy my own Victor Stream and I recently bought
my Netbook for the convenience factor due to its size.  If possible, do
what you can to save up so you can buy any equipment you feel is
necessary.  Remember, not everything will be cheap in life and we will
not always be clients of institutions that will purchase technology and
material for us.

I know what it is like to be a struggling college student so please do
not take my comments as any criticism, but just as advice.  I am a
non-traditional student now, but I have been there-- hell, I'm still
there!  LOL

Bridgit

Message: 14