[nabs-l] Obtaining electronic text

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 03:57:32 UTC 2011

Hi Joshua,
No braille isn't the answer in college; college texts change every few
years. A braille book is probably fifty volumes considering print text is
small and the average text book is 400 pages.
Who would pay for the transcription of these braille books?  It would
literally be thousands per book!

I want electronic books in a timely manner.  As to RFB they're not bad in my
opinion; yes a few history books they stumbled over words but any reader
would with foreign words, like names of Greek gods or kings.  Most books are
fine and pretty impressive; they are volunteers.
Next, NLS readers are paid and professional; they may have had a background
in tv or radio. That is not a fair comparison.
I couldn't have done college without RFB; they are a life saver.  I still
turn to them for books as a life long learner.

I do agree braille should be learned though as a foundation for literacy and
adults losing vision should learn braille.
But its not the answer for college unless you're studying math or foreign
languages.

Ashley