[nabs-l] Training centers and their structure

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:12:36 UTC 2011

Ashley,

I, too, do not do well with cardinal directions, but I have learned to
pay more attention to cardinal directions so when I travel, I can do my
best.

I was sighted for 22 years, and I am still a very visual person.  It
helps me to visualize places to better navigate them.  I no longer can
see beyond light, shadow and some colors (nothing to help in the vision
department) but I have relearned to use other sensory information to
translate a visual in my mind.

Don't say you can't do something until you have really tried it.

After graduating from a center, I did not use my travel skills as much
as I should have.  I was terrible at figuring out unfamiliar places and
often I spent my time wandering around, trying to figure out what
direction to take.  A waste of time, let me tell you.  Once I started
really paying attention to my surroundings, and traveled independently
more often, I began to rely on other sensory information, and using
cardinal directions was not so confusing.

I will probably always have more difficulty navigating a space right
away-- some will be better than me, I will be better than some.  I,
through practice, have discovered how to get past certain obstacles, and
my travel skills are much better and way more efficient.

All I have to say is, don't knock it until you've tried it!  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 12