[nabs-l] Training centers and their structure

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:30:30 UTC 2011

I still encourage training, but let me amend my argument.  I view most
training centers as facilities for newly blind people or blind people
who did not receive proper training as a child.  If you possess the
proper skills and have confidence, I say go for your goals.

Taking six to nine months off to learn skills you already know and gain
confidence you already possess, does not seem like the best option.

Again, I speak from my personal experience, but many blind people do not
have a positive and strong sense of confidence instilled in them.  The
skills mean little without nerves backing them up.

A training center allows one to experience independent living in a
controled environment.  Some may be able to pack up and take their
skills to an independent living situation, but many lack this ability.
Training centers, like the NFB centers, provide this vital part of the
equation.

Centers that offer extra curricular activities are simply trying to
demonstrate all the things blind people can do.  It is a sneaky way to
educate us on our own abilities.

Choose what is best for you, but remember, what we want, and what is
best for us, do not always coincide.

Bridgit