[nabs-l] The Blind Bubble

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:16:29 UTC 2011

On the subject of relationships. I was once married to a sighted man, who
wanted me to see. Yes it was great having a person who could drive me, who
could read things, and so on. But he did not understand my blindness, nor
even cared to. He did not want a blind wife. And in the long run my
blindness was used against me when it came to my children. Now with that
said, I am married to a blind person. Yes transportation is a bit more
challenging, yes reading things is challenging, but certainly those things
are not doable in some way. My husband now does not want to fix me; he is
okay with my blindness just as much as I am. And we get a kick out of making
jokes about funny things in our life when it comes to not seeing. My husband
was also previously married to a sighted person. So in that sense, we
understand the struggles that go along with being married to a sighted
person. Neither of us married each other because we were in the NFB, or
because he was blind, or because I knew he would understand me better. We
married because we fell in good old fashion love. Yes we met at the 2009
Youth Slam. And certainly I am not suggesting that people attend Youth Slam
to meet there future spouses, boyfriends or girlfriends. The seriousness of
it, when I attended Youth Slam, I was so done with men. But there he was.
Yes looking at how as a blind person, how he dealt with things, how
independent he was, yes those were all factors, as if he did not deal with
his blindness well. I would have never chosen to move the relationship
forward. We did not marry because we thought society would think it was
cute, or that it is expected of us. And I like to think that God had
something to do with it, but that is my personal opinion.

But no one should marry another blind person just on the bases of
understanding, or that you're in the same ORG, or your both guide dog users,
or because society thinks it is expected of blind people to marry blind
people. No one should marry a sighted person, just because of the
transportation thing, or the fact that reading things is easier. You should
marry and be happy with someone who makes you happy, who will treat you
well, who loves you for you, and who does not want to change you.

So both my husband and I, just happen to be blind, so what! So what blind
people marry sighted people. My point, not so eloquently stated, marry,
date, girlfriend or boyfriend someone for them, not for what they have or do
not have, but who they are.

Marsha