[nabs-l] nabs-l Digest, Vol 52, Issue 15

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 20:03:31 UTC 2011

Hello list,
   I find that one thing that  is important to think about, but not
as  easy to practice is  not to  analyze too deeply the connections we
have with   people.
 I can say, that I have   the sighted friends that I do because  I
have a connection  with them.  I can say the same for  my blind
friends too.  But, am I going  to have the same conversations with my
sighted friends as my blind ones?  in some  senses, I absolutely will-
I'll talk about politics, music, fashion, food, and  enjoy those
conversations just the same.  Now, will I talk about Braille, good
training,  blind parenting and the like with my sighted friends? some,
but largely  not  so much.

 I think one of the biggest concerns blind people have in   getting to
know sighted peers is the initial awkward moments; the person  who
grabs you out  of seemingly no where,  the people who ask you about
your note taker during class, when all you want is to  focus on your
work, or just having a normal conversation.  Those are the things you
don't really get trained on, those are  the things that could probably
get  to bevery real, very frustrating and even scary. We maybe as
confident in reading  our braille  or cooking  that amazing
seven-layer cake, but  the interpersonal communication controlsalot of
 our comfort in who we will befriend and marry.
  just some thoughts.
  Darian