[nabs-l] Training centers

Justin Young jty727 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:08:46 UTC 2011

Darian,

Explaining further about the Carroll Center in Newton, MA there are
many different programs.  I went 3 consecutive Summers.  I started in
the Youth In Transition(YIT) program which focuses on daily living
skills with different classes from 8am-3pm approximately(at least that
was the time frame when I attended).  The second Summer I attended the
Real World of Work Experience(RWWE) Program.  This program lasts 5 to
6 weeks where you spend 1 week of stuff you do in YIT and then you are
on your own.  You have an assigned Job Coach who goes out to the site
with you and helps you out.  You are treated as a volunteer at your
work site, but you are paid by Carroll Center twice a week.  Come to
think of it it was 5 weeks the YIT was 6.  The final Summer I was one
of 5 individuals who tested out the pilot program known as Transition
To College(TTC).  This lasts 4 weeks where you live 2 on the Carroll
Center property and the other 2 weeks at a College living in a
resident hall.  It was a suite style setting.  I'm not sure if they
still do it with the same college, but when I did it we stayed at
Boston College.  For this program they give you $15 per day(might have
changed because like I said it was the pilot) for food.  During the
day you attend seminars which were held in the Education building.  We
walked like a mile between the classroom and our dorm.  The other
program which I didn't attend was the Computting to College(CTC).  Its
2 weeks of classroom sessions in the Technology center on the Carroll
Center property.  You learn much about microsoft office and all that
fun stuff.  There is also the Adult programs which are held during the
year and not during the Summer.
Hope this helps answer some of your questions,
Justin