[nabs-l] Training centers

Jennifer Aberdeen freespirit328 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:11:49 UTC 2011

Hi Darian,

The Carrol Center is located in Newton, MA. It's right outside of Boston.
The building is an old tuitor style mansion; it has a dormatory type
setting.

Anyway, my original program was twelve weeks, but I got an eight week
extention because of my particular situation. There were your usual classes:
O & M, independent living skills, communications Skills and wood shop.

Mobility was interesting because I was trying to learn how to travel safely
in a power wheelchair. We worked on it for months, but we finally decided
there was no way I could do it safely without sighted assistance. I kept
driving the dumb thing off the sidewalk. I did much better with my manual
wheelchair. I did learn very quickly though. My instructor told me I have
really good orientation skills.

I didn't really like Woodshop. There was a lot of measuring involved and I
always had a hard time with that when I had sight, so it wasn't any
different being blind. I did end up making a bed for my cat though.

I was really good in communications skills. I've always been good with
technology though, so I wasn't surprised. My instructor recommended the
Stream and Braille Note, and state services did get those for me.

Independent living skills was a bit challanging for me, but I did learn
quite a bit. Cooking was a challange, but I think I got the basics down
anyway. I never plan on being a gourmet shef, so I'm satisfied with what I
did learn.

Then there was fencing, which I hated at first, but after I got really good
at it and really enjoyed beating all the guys, lol.

The best part was after classes though where I could just hang out with the
other students and stuff. I did make quite a few friends there, although
most of them I've lost contact with now, but there are still two or three
people I still talk to over the phone.

I was really sad when my time there came to an end, but I have been back to
visit and most of my instructors are on my facebook friend's list.

Jen

Shop my store for the latest and greatest in beauty and wellness products!
www.youravon.com/jaberdeen

Jennifer Aberdeen, AVON Independent Sales Representative
freespirit328 at gmail.com
401-644-5607