[nabs-l] Blind relationships

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 01:10:45 UTC 2011

Kirt,

I did not mean to direct my comments specifically to you.  I understand
that you're argument is due to the fact that you simply do not have
other blind people involved in the activities you take part in.  I was
not lecturing you nor did I intend to address you alone.

I just hope we all base our relationships on a persons character and not
on their physical or aestetic qualities, or their interest.  There is a
tendancy for us to have reverse prejudice against other blind people as
well as sighted people.

You seem like an upstanding guy who has focus and determination.  I
respect that in anyone.

I wish for everyone to find someone who they connect with and find a
sense of contentment with-- romantic or plutonic.

Best of luck to you, and all others.  You are right for not focusing on
blindness, but what your dreams and desires are.

I agree with those who view the "blindness field" as a safety net for
some (though I do not believe everyone working in blindness related
fields are there for this reason).  I, too, do not like spending all my
time dealing with blindness topics, though I am extremely active in the
Federation.  I do have a life outside "blindness" and I encourage us all
to follow our own path and not be caught in the trap of having our world
revolve around blindness itself.

Having said that, I believe it is important we take the lead.  For
centuries, people chose our paths for us, and society determined what it
is to be blind.  It was not until we, the actual blind, took charge and
carved our own road, that the world began to change.  We have discovered
that blindness is a perception of reality and not a truth-- meaning,
what we once thought was reality has turned out to be largely a
perception, and a perception we can change.

We need blind people working in blindness fields to, one, prove that we
can teach the blind just as well, and two, so our world does not revert
back to antiquated ideals about blindness.

Anyway, my point is to not let blindness determine how and why you do
things.  The hardest part of being blind, I have found, is dealing with
negative perceptions and stereotypes.  I can set a goal and find a way
to achieve it.  By accomplishing my goals, I am showing the world that I
am not that different.

It strengthens me to know that so many are accomplishing goals and
moving into their communities to be active players in this game.  These
dialogues allow us to share our experiences, and to learn and grow from
them.  It is awesome to see so many people shedding the old identity of
blindness and creating their own existance.

Bridgit
Message: 7