[nabs-l] Assignments with copy editing

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 01:10:40 UTC 2011

Ashley,

I am an editor, and I also have assignments in class where we use
universal symbols for copy editing.  I am a creative writing major with
a minor in public relations so I am familiar with this issue.

There are two ways you can approach this.

1.  create your own way to mark errors.  I use JAWS and have done this
for my classes for creative writing and public relations classes.  Since
I can not independently make these marks, and JAWS can not either, my
instructors have allowed me to make corrections in a way that is
accessible.  My instructors have also applied this for corrections on my
writing.
For example:  We may go too (to) the festivel (festival) after picking
Jake up (comma) but him (he) may not have muney (money).

In copy editing, there are specific symbols used for corrections, but I
have used the same paranthetical corrections, as demonstrated above, for
PR writing too.

2.  Use a reader/scribe for your test.  They can read the test (though
you will need a copy I suppose to point out the errors).  Use whatever
method you are comfortable with so you can read the test too, and
Indicate what is to be corrected then have them draw the necessary
symbol.  You will be telling them exactly what to do, and there is no
reason you shouldn't be able to do this.

Bridgit

Message: 8