[nabs-l] Winter weather travel

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 07:22:20 UTC 2011

Arielle,

It would be great to see how others navigate through the snowy,
slushed-filled streets while getting to and from their locations.

I live in Nebraska and we can have brutal winters, though not as bad as
the Dakota's or Minnesota.

I have never enjoyed the cold, and when the thermostat drops below 70
degrees, I am freezing!  *smile*

When it snows around here, especially like this winter where piles and
piles of snow are covering everything, my usual landmarks are nowhere to
be found.  Between work and school, I do not have time to wander about
in the cold and snow, but I want to be safe at the same time.

I have to find, or create, new landmarks, but more than this, I have to
rely on my other senses more than normal.

I live close to a bus stop.  Typically, I leave my complex, turn up the
road leading to a main thoroughfare, find the sidewalk and wait for the
bus.  The road up to the main thoroughfare does not have a sidewalk so I
walk in the road, staying close to the curb.  When I reach the
intersection of this road and the main thoroughfare, I cane along the
curb looking for the sidewalk.

In the winter, however, a wall of snow lines the curb on the road and
creates a barrier between me and the sidewalk.  Fortunately, the road is
not super busy so I continue to walk in the street, keeping as close as
possible to the new curb of snow.  As I approach the intersection, there
is a turning lane so I pay careful attention to the traffic making sure
to not walk too far past the sidewalk and into the main thoroughfare.

Noticing where the cars are turning on the nearest lane, I begin to cane
over the snow to find the sidewalk.  If the snow mounds reach too high,
I may have to traverse over them.

When it is really bad.  I stick close to the "curb" of snow right before
the turning lane, I stand on the snow so I am somewhat out of the road,
and the bus will pick me up there.

Living in a bigger city, usually major streets and sidewalks are
cleared.  Same with campus.  The most difficult thing for me is the snow
piled along the curbs.  If I miss the mark on a crossing, I have to
climb mountains of snow which is a pain.  LOL

There is no right or wrong answer, I think.  We all find and develop our
own methods for dealing with situations like winter weather.  My main
word of advice is to truly rely on your other senses.  Especially on
those routes you know the best.  Listening to your surroundings, and
being prepared for any situation, will ensure safety and efficient
traveling.

Of course, if someone is willing, I take a ride with a friend or family
member when it is unbearable.  Last week, we had a day where the temp
dropped to ten below with wind.  As I mentioned, I don't like being
cold-- I found a ride.  *smile*

Bridgit

Message: 22