[nabs-l] unemployment rate

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 07:08:27 UTC 2011

Kirt,

While I agree with you that blindness alone should be considered in determining employment rates for blind people, I believe you may be holding too dearly to the blind professionals in the blindness-related work factor.

It appears to me that this is slightly beyond a mere curiosity on your part.

Let's measure employment for the blind, taking into consideration people who are blind-only.

Why not measure the percentage of blind professionals in various positions while we're at it.

It shouldn't be hard to take standard methods of economic research and data gathering and apply it to our population.

Isn't this sort of thing why the Jernigan Institute was founded?

Antonio Guimaraes

On Feb 14, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Kirt Manwaring wrote:

> Arielle,
>  Fair enough- I commend those of you who choose to do so.  (and I
> want to, just not as much)  But what fraction of the employed
> "successful" blind community are actively part of blind consumer
> organizations?  And...is that the main factor in determining whether
> or not a blind person is employed in the blindness field?
>  All the best to all of you,
> Kirt
>
> On 2/14/11, Arielle Silverman <nabs.president at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think it's important to remember that those of us who are NFB
>> members have much of our contact with other NFB members and many NFB
>> members choose to work in blindness rehabilitation or education
>> because they are drawn to helping resolve the social obstacles that
>> blind people face. It's entirely possible that the majority of the
>> blind people who don't join a blindness organization choose not to
>> work in the blindness field. In fact, some blind people go so far as
>> to avoid all contact with the blind community. One of my only blind
>> role models growing up was an attorney who repeatedly told me that the
>> best thing I could do for myself was to rise above my blindness and
>> connect with other blind people as little as possible. It apparently
>> worked for him as he is an intelligent, successful, happily married
>> man, but I know that's certainly not the way for all of us. Those of
>> us who choose to join organizations do so in large part because we
>> want to affiliate with and reach out to other blind people, so
>> naturally those of us who join consumer organizations will be more
>> likely to find employment in the blindness field.
>>
>> Arielle
>>
>> On 2/14/11, Anmol Bhatia <anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Kirt,
>>> You raise some really good points and I happen to totally agree with you.
>>> think now with unemployment in general being high, unemployment amongest
>>> the
>>> blind is higher then 70 percent. The 70 percent was the unemployment in
>>> the
>>> 1990s and early 2000s when the national employment was at about 4 to 5