[nabs-l] Blindness rules

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:09:19 UTC 2011

The blindness courtesy rules on the NFB website are a good resource to
use.  They succinctly summarize the key ideas to keep in mind when
meeting blind people.  I think we can all agree that we want to be
viewed as normal human beings-- just like everyone else.  This list
simply offers some great advice for people.

I agree that I do not care if the lights are on or off.  We purchased
the energy efficient light bulbs a couple of years ago, but usually when
it is just me and the hubby, we don't keep many lights on.  And lights
give me a headache after a while.

However, when sighted people are over, I make sure to turn lights on and
ask if the lighting is okay for them.  This is mere courtesy.  Also, it
can be disconcerting for others when we mill about in the darkness even
if they know we are blind.  We will turn a light on before answering the
door for delivery people or if neighbors knock.  And I turn lights on
when using public restrooms or other public places.

In my own home, I do not carry my cane, but when I am at a home that I
do not know well, or at all, I make sure to carry my cane until I
familiarize myself with the place.  One, it just reinforces the idea
that I can be independent and safe, two, I don't require my guest to
follow me around and inconvenience them in any way.  To each his own,
but I think it benefits us, and our family and friends, if we learn to
do things without constantly having to have some one with us.  Blind or
sighted, it looks better if we do not require an attendant while
learning to navigate a new space.

As suggested already, don't fully extend your cane out, use more gentle
arcing, and don't constantly reach your hands out to feel for items--
this will lead to knocking stuff over.  However, remember that everyone
knocks stuff over or spills or trips-- we are human and it is okay to
mess up as long as you are doing what you can to travel and navigate as
efficiently as possible.

My chapter and affiliate keep a ton of Federation brochures and material
on hand to disiminate to people at events.  As an individual, I think it
is equally appropriate to have NFB literature on hand to distribute to
people you encounter.  It was suggested once to pass this info out
during Meet the Blind Month (October) to people you see frequently-- bus
drivers, teachers, grocery clerks, etc.

Again, my advice is to live your life as you intend, and do not get
caught up in what others think you should, or should not, do.  We all
discover and develop our own little techniques for stuff, and we are
normal people who have our own goals and dreams.  Independence is about
living your life in the most capable, efficient and positive manner you
can.  Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but also understand you
don't have to jump on every band wagon that pulls into town.  Learn to
be normal-- whatever that is-- and do not let society's rules and
perceptions snare you; though this is easier said than done.

Bridgit