[nabs-l] Philosiphy in society

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 17:05:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,
  So, I was thinking about how  what we learn in the NFb can translate
into society.  For example,  socializing, we want to be considered as
"normal" as the next person, but often we are asked the  general
blindness related questions, not  ina bad way, but because people
don't understand something and want to know  what we do.  How do
people deal with this?  Say, you really had a long day, and the last
thing  you want to hear is something related to blindness, but the
grammys were on, and you wouldn't mind talking about  how a certain
pop star finally didn't win something *smile*.
 Or,  you have the weel-meaning person trying to direct you somewhere,
when you've made it clear  that you do not require said assistance?
How do you  handle this without getting  fairly annoyed and/or taking
it to be more serious than it's  simply ment.   I know we talk about
the  importance of educating the public, yet   the equil importance of
stressing normality.   How have people handled  these ideas?  How does
one  operate keeping in mind the ideas of both living one's life and
keep in mind the next blind person that comes along?

    Darian

--
Darian Smith
Skype: The_Blind_Truth
Windows Live: Lightningrod2010 at live.com
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/goldengateace

"You could be shown the road, given the vehicle, even handed the key.
But only you can have the drive."