[nabs-l] Philosophy in society

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 05:42:00 UTC 2011

Antonio,
  I feel like a lot of my blind friends, at least when I'm with them,
talk mostly about blindness-related things.  (and I'm not talking
about meetings or formal discussions...I'm talking like when we hang
out casually)  So much of the conversation has to do with such and
such audio computer game, which notetaker is better, gossip about
other blind people (even if you hardly know them) that sort of thing.
And most of these people, it seems like, don't even try to become
well-rounded in the world outside their blind comfort zones.
  I know someone here's going to quote me out of context, or
misunderstand, so let me clarify.  My gripe isn't with blindness.  It
isn't with blind people supporting each other, hanging out together,
being friends, marrying each other, working in jobs with other blind
people, etc.  But when blindness becomes a person's identity, when a
person's life is his/her few blind friends, and when that person
doesn't even try to meet people and broaden horizons outside their
group of blind people, it bothers me.  Blindness doesn't really make
me that different from everyone else, but so many blind people isolate
themselves in a blindness-centered life and, yeah, I think that's
really, really bad for our public image.
  Best,
Kirt