[nabs-l] Advanced college math

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:58:56 UTC 2011

Hi Kurt,
This sounds like a silly argument but I'll indulge you.  As part of my undergrad degree in computer science I nearly earned a minor in math.  I had to take two calculus classes, a discrete math class, and a linear algebra class.  I opted to take the half semester matrix algebra class instead of linear algebra, not because I'm blind but because I was lazy.  Matrix algebra is no joke though, just half the number of classes and homework assignments.  A lot of the upper level algorithms courses in computer science also make use of advanced math such as calculus.

I know there are others on this list who have or are majoring in computer science and I'm sure they have similar degree requirements.  I would suspect that many blind people have taken these advanced math courses, not just a handful.  What about Dr. Nemeth?

And yes, I am totally blind.

Hope this helps you win an argument and broadens your knowledge about the experiences of other blind people.

Greg