[nabs-l] Philosophy in society

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Feb 27 01:26:12 UTC 2011

Kirt and List,

Has anyone heard of the hierarchy of needs? Basically, the principle
states that we have basic needs as human beings, and that we'll work on
meeting "lower order needs" first before meeting "higher order needs."

>From that perspective, it is possible that blind people (and any other
minority for that matter) focus on issues related  to their minority
status because they are working on fulfilling a need that has not yet
been met and that such individuals won't be able to move up the needs
ladder until their immediate needs are met. In this context, there is a
need in the hierarchy called "esteem needs" and "need for belonging." I
bet that people are talking at length regarding blindness issues
because, at the moment, it meets their belonging needs. Lots of these
people haven't had access to people just like them. They are also
frustrated with a society that keeps them out, so they talk about it in
order to repair the wounds done to their self-esteem and
self-concept/self-efficacy. Once those needs have been met, then it's a
lot easier to talk about other things of varying depth. Just my thoughts.

Respectfully,
Jedi