[nabs-l] Parishable Food Items

Laura Glowacki orangebutterfly87 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 04:06:14 UTC 2011

Chelsey,

Though not an exact science, I have just learned over the years
to tell when something smells/tastes/feels as if it's gone bad,
especially milk, bread, lunch meat, and cheese.  Also, in
general, certain foods you buy will last you a certain amount of
time in your fridge.  For instance, milk usually lasts just about
2 weeks give or take a day or two.  Cheese, if kept properly
wrapped up, can last several weeks depending on what type it is.

If in doubt, I just remember what the food tastes/smells/feels
like when I first opened the packaging when it was fresh and note
if there's any major differences.  If in serious doubt, I will
often err on the side of caution and toss it especially meat and
dairy products.  I don't know if that helps answer your question
at all.  If you want an exact date of expiration, writing it down
may be the only way to accurately track such things.  Otherwise,
remembering what dy you bought it and searching the internet for
information on shelf life of a certain food will often give you
some ball park numbers.  Most people I know, blind and sighted,
just go by what it looks like as even the expiration dates or
use-by dates are not always super accurate in predicting when a
product will expire.

HTH,
Laura