[nabs-l] Using A Braille Embosser In College

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sun Feb 27 16:25:29 UTC 2011

Hi Briana,
I had the same dilemma as you do when I was facing my freshman year of
college a few years ago.  I never actually used  my school's braille
embosser when I was in high school, but I had a braillist use it for me
to transcribe papers, worksheets, and tests.    I was told that
braille wouldn't be as practical in college too, but I'm a strong
advocate for braille andI was determined to make use of it as much as
possible. I ended up getting abraille embosser from my  state's
commission, andI think I only used it once. It ended up hanging out in
my dorm room, taking up a ton of space, till I recently got rid of it.
For one thing, it's way too loud for a dorm room--at least the one I
had was. Secondly, I never really had the need to emboss things, except
for one class, where I had to read a speech. And even then, I could
have used my Braille Note instead if I hadn't owned a braille embosser.
My advice to you is, even though getting an embosser may seem like a
great idea, it's most likely going to be kind  of useless to you in a
college setting, and you really need quite a bit of room for it. You
should have them get you a braille notetaker or a braille display
instead. Any of the ones on the market today are going to allow you to
read things back in braille, so you can still keep up  with the skill,
but without having to waiste room, paper, and without it being noisy.
Plus a notetaker or a display is portable, whereas a braille embosser
can only be used in your dorm or wherever you'd have it.

Just my two cents!!

All Best,

Bernadetta.