[nabs-l] question about identification of different items

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 19:12:39 UTC 2011

Hi Jordyn,

Often times, I have found, that you can distinguish credit cards tactily by
feeling the card numbers. You can often feel the difference between a 1 or
an 8, just for example, at the start of the card number. Also, different
cards have different number protocols that feel different. For example, Visa
cards have 4 sets of 4 numbers, and Amex have a different setup. Many people
also stick small labels on the cards to distinguish. I do as you say, and
just have the card numbers taken down in a document. A fairly obvious word
of caution, but one that warrants stating anyway: do not keep your pin
numbers and passwords in the same document or on the same sheet of notes
with the card numbers. This way, if the numbers are compromised, at least
the pin numbers are not included. Frankly, your best off to just keep pin
numbers in your head and nowhere else.

While I will say that the iBill is a very neat and useful little item, I
have lived without one my whole life, and have been handling money since I
was 12. I have never, and I do mean never, been stiffed by a sighted person.
I collected payment on a paper route for three years, and have made all
sorts of cash transactions, and have always found the bills given to me to
be exactly what I was told they were. Incidentally, I have had some
instances of being both under and over paid for items that I have sold for
NFB fundraisers to other blind folks, but this is a separate question. I'm
quite sure that these were all cases of poor money management skills, and
not cases of intentional deception. Especially the one time I ended up with
a 20 that somebody gave me proclaiming that it was a 5. In short, the iBill
saves you the trouble of asking the cashier or cabby what they are handing
you, but does require you to take the time to sort it out later. An iBill
will let you independently sort your cash, but in no way diminishes from the
need for good money management skills and a system of folding or placement
to keep track of what is what. After all, who wants to go through the
trouble of figuring out what each bill is each time they wish to make a cash
transaction? Not me!

Hope something here was useful.

Take care,

Sean