[nabs-l] blind people in Baltimore

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Jan 6 03:41:44 UTC 2011

Josh,

I have done some checking, and Microsoft Project is apparently not very accessible.  However, there may have been
some changes in the latest version that might make parts of it more accessible.  This might be a good question for the
Blind Programmers list.  Given your field of study, that would probably be a good resource for you in general.  You can
subscribe by sending a note with "subscribe" without the quotes in the subject to

program-l-request at freelists.org

I would also suggest that you may not necessarily want to look for other alternatives to use in your classes.  There is
something to be said for learning software like this even if you need to work with a reader.  First, it allows you to
concentrate on the software and not the accessibility which can be important because there are some concepts
about project tracking that you will likely learn.  Second, it is likely you won't start out with a heavy involvement in
project management, but it is good to know how your supervisor is tracking your work.  Third, there is at least some
chance that MS Project will be more accessible in two or three years when you are in the job market.  Fourth, I have
found it can be useful to know software that you can't use well.  In my job, I had to learn a couple of different report
generators that I could not use.  The reason this was important is that I had to decide which report generator best fit a
given task as part of my job, but it was someone else's job to actually create the reports based upon the information I
gave them.  As I have tried to point out to you on the JOBS list, not everything on the job will be as accessible as you
would like, and you have to know how to deal with getting information using multiple tools.  Some of this would be
easier to work around if you were not taking your course through an on-line institution, but it is still workable.  Still, we
need to push Microsoft and the screen reader developers to work on this as MS Project can be very important when
one gets into management.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson