[nabs-l] switching majors?

William ODonnell william.odonnell1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 16:54:33 UTC 2011

I would like to give some input here on this topic. I think that the colleges and universities help by providing discouraging information causing us to think that we should change a major or take a different set of courses.  I know of some people who were told that the courses are not made for the blind within specific majors due to the visual timely material.  I have some of my own personal experiences where taking courses for a specific requirement has cause problems with the college’s administration especially the disabilities services center.  I was in a class that required proper interpretation basic knowledge of HTML skills.  Taking the class was not an issue; however, some of the labs and assignments were.  With out asking me how I would take the class, the director of the disabled students office was on the telephone attempting to get a special waver for the course.  I proceeded at educating the director that I could find alternate means
 and that getting a waver would hurt me in the long run since the corporate world does not give wavers.  I was faced with an up-hill battle to complete the course utilizing all resources and having an understanding professor to help evaluate my work since the DSS office refused to properly accommodate the tests saying that I should have changed my major.  This was during the period when JFW 4.0 was current; so, it was not as advanced with some of its functions and the schools adaptive PCS were using windows 95/98.  So, I would say to who ever this is happening to, never give up; but, be strong and prepared to fight a big fight if administration from the college wants you to do something easier than what you want to do.  Good luck and I hope this helps.