[nabs-l] {Disarmed} Re: Microsoft publisher and word

Dane Dunham danedunham26 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 04:03:19 UTC 2011

I have not had any experience with office 2010, but I've been using office
2007 for over a year with the freely available NVDA screen reader.  You move
from ribbon to ribbon using the left and right arrow keys after pressing
alt.

The ribbon bar is really a tab bar with subsequent options under each tab.
In my experience, most access keys have remained the same, at least in
office 2007, with few exceptions.  For example, many access keys have become
triple-stroke access keys, meaning you have to press a key like ALT+N, and
then another letter immediately afterword to make things happen.

It does get a little unusual after you get to the ribbon you want.  Usually,
you would need to press tab to get to the other options, but in office 2007,
you use the up and down arrows to get to the options under each tab.  It’s a
little difficult to explain, so please let me know if something doesn’t make
sense.

However, I have had to use publisher for a few things, and needed to have
sited assistance because the edit controls in publisher are not accessible
with NVDA or ZoomText, the other access program I use.  Publisher might work
with JFW or another screen reader though.
Overall, it takes a bit of getting used to, but I have found office 2007 to
be much easier to use and more intuitive than office 2003.