[nabs-l] waver

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 02:04:43 UTC 2011

Mark, some interesting points.
However, I'm not convinced that the, I have to do extra work in this
course and that's discrimination, argument is appropriate in this
situation.

I don't believe that we are actually discussing a situation in which
extra work is required. It is not extra work that is required to
successfully complete many of the courses that are very visual. In
most cases, the blind person needs to get sighted assistance, such as
a reader or describer or a diagramer, but this use of assistance is
not requiring the blind person to do extra work. The same amount of
work is covered, it is just completed in a different way. The blind
person may use a bit more time while listening to descriptions and so
on. However, I don't think there are many sighted students who don't
have to spend extra time on one course or other during their time at
college. Very few students are great at everything and usually, most
of us struggle in one area or other. many average students use extra
time on particular subjects because they are difficult for them.

By way of a real life example. A sighted friend of mine was required
to take a language course as part of his undergraduate degree. He
detests learning a foreign language and he is horrible at it. He spent
hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars on a tutor and he barely
scraped over the pass mark. I don't believe that it was discrimination
to make him take a language course. The business faculty considered
that graduates should have a basic knowledge of at least one of the
languages spoken by the country's largest trading partners. The
designers of that degree program decided on what program components
would turn out a well-rounded, competent business student. This same
friend, who struggled with the language course, actually tutored three
fellow students who were floundering with one of the accounting
courses that they were required to take one semester. These three
students spent hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars to acquire
knowledge and skills to pass their accounting courses. So, all of
these students were required to spend extra time and effort on the
particular required courses which they found challenging if they
wanted to graduate with the business degree from that university.

So, even though blind people are often required to spend extra time,
and sometimes money, though the disability office usually pays for
assistance, in the grand scheme of college experience, it doesn't
appear to me that the blind end up doing more than most students.
Given the incredibly large number of options available to creative,
blind problem-solvers in finding ways to access information and learn
skills, it is hard to imagine many courses where a waiver is the best
answer. Perhaps if a course required portrait and landscape painting,
a case could be made that the blind person couldn't do this with
assistance. But, there are no doubt possible substitutions that the
art professor would accept such as a a relief carving in clay or
drawing using raised line drawing materials. I cannot imagine a reason
why a blind person should receive a waiver from a performing arts
program as there are blind people who perform in just about every
branch of the performing arts.

In my experience, most blind people request waivers because they don't
know how they can make accommodations for a particular course. Yet,
when they actually get into the situation they come up with ideas and
methods and end up passing the course without undue difficulty or
hardship. Sadly, and this is an unpleasant truth, many blind students
also request waivers because they are afraid of going out of their
comfort zone. Imagine how many students would request waivers if they
could use discomfort as a reason. But, blind students are often
working with sighted people who have no idea what abilities and skills
blind people have, so they allow the blind student to substitute the
word "blind" for the words uncomfortable and unwilling, and they grant
them a waiver.

the argument that no waivers are given in the working world is a
compelling one for refusing waivers and taking the opportunity to
develop problem-solving skills and positive attitudes towards
challenging situations. The years spent at college are a
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for blind students to learn the skills
and attitudes that they will need to be successful employees. Whether
or not an ethical argument for discrimination can be made in this
context, and I'm not convinced that it can, reality makes it's own
immutable point. If you don't learn to be a creative problem-solver
and a proactive and flexible blind person, willing and able to adapt
to the challenges of living in a sighted world, then you will not
succeed in obtaining and maintaining employment in your career of
choice.

YES! There is absolutely a place for collective action to work to
improve the overall accessibility of the sighted world for the blind.
But, total accessibility to the sighted world requires sight. In the
meantime blind people have ethical decisions to make daily about what
is a reasonable accommodation and what is an unnecessary waiver.

On the question of the NFB asking for waivers, I submit the following.
I don't believe that the NFB has asked for blind people to be allowed
to work while not losing their welfare payments. I am by no means an
expert on this topic so please correct me those who know about such
things. However, as I understand it, There are two kinds of disability
payments that blind people may receive. SSi, and SSDI.
In the case of the first, if a blind recipient starts to work, they
will lose government payment dollars at the same rate as sighted
recipients though, given the unique equipment needs of blind workers
in many situations, There is a provision where blind workers may
retain benefits if they are putting their job earnings toward certain
essential, job-related equipment, transportation etc.

In the case of SSDI, blind recipients also start to lose benefits at
the same rate as sighted recipients. The NFB has been trying to have
the earnings limit raised so that the disincentive not to work and
loose benefits is not so large. They are only seeking to have the
earnings limit raised to where it matches that given to senior
citizens receiving government benefits. Thus, the NFB is seeking an
already existing benefit be extended to blind workers and is not
requesting a waiver on the earnings limit.

Regards,

Heather

'm not sure,