[nabs-l] waver

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 23:19:23 UTC 2011

Mark,
Excellent post.
I believe wavers should be used as a last resort; try to work it out and if
you take another class make it be related to what you're missing.

I especially agree with your last comment
"I think if more energy were spent fighting the discriminatory design of
products, services, and institutions, and less time spent coming up with
clever ways of getting along within these badly designed systems, all blind
people would be a lot better off, not just the clever ones."

Absolutely.  I would have received a waver for a physical education class if
my school had one.  I'd say that and a visual art class such as drawing or
painting are instances where I think a waver is justified.
Some suggestions put forth here to render a class accessible simply are not
feasible a lot of the time.  The two are having a reader and using
classmates to glean neccessary information.

As someone who faced discrimination, went the extra mile to the professor to
ask questions, and kept hitting brick walls, I see where Mark is coming from
and
do understand why blind students would want a waver.

Two cases from what I was in.  You'll see why readers and classmates are not
workable solutions all the time.

Readers, even outside class, are hard to get in my experience.  Even when
living at campus, it was difficult.  Many readers are not qualified; others
have accents; others are simply unreliable.  I had some readers quit on me
because they claimed they needed to focus on their own work only.
The college did not provide a reader in class.  Class met twice a week for a
3 credit class; so one would have to have VR pay for that reader or you'd
pay yourself; that is a lot of commitment on the reader's part to attend
class with you.
Many of you suggest using classmates.  This never worked for me except for
some ocasions; I'm sure I'm not the only one who had problems there.
Classmates didn't want to study together; often schedules didn't match; in
class they were busy taking their own notes and were not willing to help at
all.

I faced discrimination when a instructor refused to let me take a ballroom
dance class at George Mason university.
I was at GMU before transfering.  I explained how I could be accomodated
including more verbal descriptions and having him show me the moves before
or during class.  He refused.  The few classes I attended were a mess
because I couldn't see the moves he was doing.  He was quiet while
demonstrating rather than being descriptive.  I dropped the class.
It was not required; but if PE was required you better bet I'd get a waver!

Next I was in intercultural communication. This was at Marymount university;
The professor showed us videos; not many maybe four or five.
Her solution was to get a notetaker for me in class and DSS paid her; but
Soraya was a bad notetaker; not thourough.
I asked students to go over it with me after class; like summarize it and
any visual settings I missed; for instance they had a scene from Vietnam and
I wondered what it looked like.
But no one called me back to discuss it.  Then I asked to borrow the video
and watch it with a reader.  I'll add a reader I hired; not one provided by
the school!

Again the professor refused to do this; she would not lend her video out.
The school did not provide a reader in class; one video had subtitles
because a little was in Vietnamese; finally some student helped me out with
that.

When I took a class named psychology of the media or something like it,
again due to the videos I did not have full access to the curriclum;
classmates were a little more helpful or tried to help here; but they didn't
know how to describe a video.  The professor was a little more helpful here
as well; she answered my questions in her office hours.
No readers were provided to describe the films to me.

Mark is right on that more needs to be done to ensure equal access.  Why
doesn't each
university/college have a section 508 coordinator?  That is someone to
ensure all matterial the school uses meets accessibility guidelines.
Colleges readily employ software and websites that are not 508 compliant.
Yes products, services and institutions need to be more adaptable.  They
need to follow laws like the ADA and 504 of the rehab act.
Then we wouldn't have to face discriminatory designs right and left.

Ashley----- Original Message -----