[nabs-l] BLIO READER

Josh Kennedy jkenn337 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 15:45:40 UTC 2011

Hi

So when is the blio reader going to be accessible? Also why are we still
paying $1300 for jaws and similar price for window-eyes when NVDA is
already scriptable? Guys in order for me not to get a waver for my
future microsoft project course I need access to that software. Voc
rehab will have to buy window-eyes, supernova or jaws plus pay who knows
how much to script it to work with project. So why doesn't the nfb
organise and get people with the talent to start writing appModules for
NVDA? Or write serotek and ask them to support more software
applications? I don't have access to readers in rural berks county
pennsylvania. Also why is the blio reader still not accessible? They
said it would be accessible in October and blindbargains says that so
far it only works with jaws. Well guys I have a free open source
scriptable screen reader right here and even if I had the money I
wouldn't spend $1295 or so on jaws12. Why should I? nvda and system
access do most of what I want. I tried learning python and failed. Not
everybody can be a programmer just like not everybody can be an
auto-mechanic fixing cars. System access works with mostly everything I
need except for project. So can we all here on the nabs-l list write
serotek asking for ms-project support? I don't really have access to
readers. Neither can I pay for them. I would rather do the work myself,
learn and experience ms-project for myself. and then the question is
since nvda2011.1 will be out soon all 2010.2 scripts or appmodules will
be broken.
I want to take this project class if I can. nvda scripting obviously is
not stable yet. I bought serotek's build a bundle system access a few
days ago. I'm a paying customer and I need access to
ms-project2007-2010. Sometimes I get the feeling that money takes
precedence over making a program accessible. Don't you guys see that if
serotek added ms-project support or if nvda got their scripting stable
and added it these low cost screen readers would be even more useful? Oh
I can't wait to see the day, if it even happens that system access and
nvda become the leading screen readers on the market. And when I
graduate and when I get to baltimore and join the nfb I am going to push
and push and push for widespread nvda scripting and widespread serotek
product use. As soon as I can I'm getting docuscanplus and serotek's
hoverCam neo or HoverCam mini. Blindbargains wrote an article in the top
stories of 2010. In the article they said the reason or part of the
reason windows narrator did not become a full screen reader was because
microsoft caved into pressure from the nfb and other organizations so
that the $1300 screen reader would remain in the forfront of the
computer accessibility market. my question is why? and is this even true
or are blindbargains' claims false? If I need a waver and have to
replace the project class with another I will but I'd rather not go that
route. I have two screen readers on here with the potential to give me
microsoft project accessibility. Now if ms-project accessibility were
implemented in either software it would benefit many blind people and
increase our job opportunities. Freedom scientific is disappointing.
They're up to jaws12 but they only support project2000? Perhaps someone
at capella could at least script nvda2010.2 to make it work. So far
there are still two developers, only two, working on nvda. why are there
not more? Freedom scientific and gw-micro don't even want to seem to
even hear that nvda exists and is getting better. Serotek on the other
hand acknowledges nvda's existance. If I ever would win the lottery I
would spend as much money as needed hire developers and I would make
nvda the leading screen reader followed by system access. I wonder if gw
and fs are afraid of nvda and system access taking over? or could it be
the different state agencies who are afraid of that happening? I wonder
if there's some conspiracy going on keeping the blind community for the
most part locked into using gw and fs products? System access reads
charts in excel and I only have to pay $10 per month to get access to
that or go to satogo.com and use it that way. It just makes me mad that
even after I make the agency get me a mac, with windows7, as soon as I
need something scripted they won't even look at nvda they instead
gravitate to jaws or window-eyes. This has to be changed.

Josh