[nabs-l] BLIO READER

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 11 21:26:46 UTC 2011

Josh,

Some of these issues are just more complicated than it seems.  I am one who believes it is not in our interest to have
Microsoft provide a full-featured screen reader with Windows at this time, and a number of other people, not all in the
NFB, feel the same way.  Some aspects are changing, though.  As we see how VoiceOver continues to evolve on the
apple and as we see how Windows changes, it is not a certainty that Microsoft won't have to do the same thing.
Before you ask, though, I receive no kickbacks from anybody and I do not work for any assistive technology
companies.

If you are going to succeed in the career goals you have, you really need to take some time to learn about how screen
readers work and what the differences truly are.  You have to learn some about off-screen models, Microsoft Active
Accessibility, UI Automation, and IAccessible2 which all play a role in determining which screen readers work on
which applications.  Scripts are also not always the answer.  There are two limiting factors to how scripts can work.
First, a script can only work with the functions that a screen reader makes available.  Second, a script has to have a
predictable way to get information from the application being scripted.  Screen readers do not all have the same
functionality.  What this means is that it is not always possible to make up for accessibility with a script.  I do not
honestly know if all of the building blocks are there to make MS project completely accessible or not.  I do know that
Nova, for example, is particularly strong in analyzing graphics, so it makes some sense to me that it might work with
MS project better than other screen readers.  It is quite possible that Nova has some functionality that none of the
other screen readers have that might make MS project workable.  When looking at scripts, it is good to consider that it
is quite possible that paying someone for 20 hours of scripting time may well cost more than purchasing Nova.

NVDA is particularly strong on the newer technologies that are used by software, but there are some older
technologies that are still in use that are supported better by JFW and Window-Eyes.  I have not tried the latest
versions of NVDA or System Access, but when I last tried them a little less than a year ago, neither worked well on
some of the software that I need to use on the job, and from what I could tell, scripting would not have made them
work.  There are still cases where the expensive screen readers work where the cheaper ones do not.

On the one hand, you wonder why other programs are not free like NVDA, and then you later wonder why NVDA only
has two developers.  The more expensive screen readers are able to afford more developers which is part of what you
are paying for.  Serotek does not have many developers either, but they have at least one with a lot of tallent.  One
worries some what might happen to them if that developer were to leave.

One of the things I worry about is how we could count on Microsoft to make a screen reader they developed work
well with products that compete with other Microsoft products.  I don't think that they would intentionally not support
competing products, but it would probably be understandable that they would support their own products first and
perhaps never get to the competition.  Also, both JFW and Window-Eyes are better programs because of each other.
There are things that neither program would have done if they had not been afraid that the other would do it.  A full-
featured screen reader built into Windows would make other screen readers quite unnecessary eliminating the
competition.

One can ask then, what about Apple?  There are a number of ways that apple functions differently than Microsoft.
Apple controls more closely the applications written for it so they have more influence as to how applications deal with
accessibility.  This makes the job of writing a screen reader for the MAC just a little easier.  Even so, we will need to
keep a watchful eye over time to make sure that the apple screen reader, VoiceOver, doesn't get pushed to the back
burner.  Apple has done a nice job, but they pretty much had to do something to get government sales, and we'll have
to see how they do when the good publicity has run its course.  This is not meant to take anything away from Apple,
but we are still pretty early in the life of VoiceOver to really know how it will work in the long run.

What about readers?  You are at a disadvantage there because of going to an on-line college and living in a smaller
town.  However, do you think some of the rest of us were born with a reader?  We had to go out and find them in a
number of ways.  Your VR might resist paying for readers, but it is something they are authorized to do to help with
college courses, and it is something colleges also do, although I don't know how that applies to on=-line colleges.  If
you take the MS Project class, it isn't to learn how to use accessible software, it is to learn what MS Project does and
probably to learn some of the ins and outs of project management.  If you can get it to work with a screen reader, that
would indeed be nice, but it is possible to get what you need out of the course with a reader, and those of us here
could halpe you with ideas on finding readers.  You would have to check into funding, though from your counselor.
You also need to find out how much of the course actually involves physically using MS Project.  I find it hard to
believe that the entire course is just in using it, there are likely other materials having to do with project planning that
you would need to master as well with some of the time.  I think you really have to think about how you can prevent
this problem with MS Project from keeping you from reaching your goal.  Those of us who are working have to deal all
the time with materials that are not accessible, and it is just a part of life.  Certainly we need to keep working to
increase the accessibility of software, but we also can't just wait for everything to be accessible, we have to find ways
to get the job done in the meantime.

 Best regards,

Steve Jacobson