[nabs-l] Waver

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:07:35 UTC 2011

Mark and all,

What I fail to understand is how fighting for a waiver is an effective
means of fighting discrimination. To me, getting a waiver sounds like
a very passive means of self-defense which does nothing to change the
system. If you ask to have a class waived, and the waiver is granted,
you and your concerns are out of the minds of the university
administration. They don't have to worry about making courses
accessible if all the disabled people can just opt out of them. On the
other hand, insisting on taking the course, while also getting on the
backs of those in authority about making the class accessible, is an
active means of fighting injustice, which in the end will benefit the
entire community and not just yourself. There's also the issue that
discrimination complaints, in the real world, are not always heard or
processed to our satisfaction. So why not complain, but while waiting
for the complaint to prompt action, move along in the class and handle
the accommodations necessary to be successful?

Respectfully,
Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org