[nabs-l] nfb chapter

William ODonnell william.odonnell1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 03:54:25 UTC 2011

Let us see if this message comes across (with all proper text)!
Josh,
In regard to living in a big city with fixed transportation routes, many of the routes have diversions, delays, etc.  I live in Manhattan, NY.  We have over 100 buses in the New York City Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA); we have over 50 different subway lines and 100 different commuter rail line options covering the Tri-state area.  I am including the Port Authority path options as well as the New York Waterway taxi services when talking about the overall transit system.
I have taken fixed bus routes many times while traveling throughout the city.  As the great transportation options abound, we when thinking of locating to a major city, one needs to decide on what options they want for transportation.  Since the economy is struggling, we are experiencing many faults within the bus and rail system where more limited options are happening causing riders to be stranded at specific times of the day.  In some locations, we are now experiencing full elimination of subway and bus lines where the city has deemed transportation rider ship small and minute.  Hope this information helps while you research transit options for the areas you want to live in.