[nabs-l] frustration with Humanware-- Any suggestions?

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 21:34:20 UTC 2011

Hello, all,
  Sorry that this sounds like an off-topic rant, but I'm having some
major issues with Humanware and wonder if any of you has had similar
experiences or any advice to offer. I sent my Braille Note PK in for a
routine battery replacement toward the beginning of June-- the unit
was in perfect working order otherwise-- but when I got it back about
two weeks ago the unit wouldn't even turn on. I sent it back for a
re-service right away, and they ended up having to replace the main
board of the unit (for some reason that no one could explain to me, it
was broken during the first, supposedly routine repair). I just got
the unit back today, and guess what... the compact flash card slot
isn't working! I spoke firmly with both the technical support and
customer service representatives there to express my displeasure, and
they have instructed me to send the unit back in again, as no one
seems to have any idea about what may have caused the problem. Of
course, all the re-servicing has been free of charge, but I personally
find the situation ridiculous; I have been pretty satisfied with
Humanware up until now after being a BN user for the past 6-7 years,
so this is a huge disappointment. Has anyone had similar problems with
either Humanware or any other assistive technology vendors? Did you do
anything to address the issue other than to follow up with repeated
phone calls?
  Thanks for reading and putting up with the rambling complaint!
     Katie