[nabs-l] Florida rehabilitation center question immediate responsegranted

bookwormahb at earthlink.net bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 01:39:32 UTC 2011

Dear Alexander,
You might want to post this on the florida student list.
Also I hope sending this so many times was a mistake.

Also, you might want to state some background of yourself like if you
finished college and more specific questions.
Asking if the services are adequate or inadequate is a very broad question.
Remember people's needs vary. If you want a total package of skills, then a
residential adjustment
center may be best. But if you want just training
in a specific area such as daily living skills, then the lighthouse may suit
your needs.
Expectations vary from center to center and a good way to know is by talking
to staff, observing a class, touring the facility, and asking those students
who went there as you just did.
I cannot speak to the Lighthouse of Broward, but I can say that the Columbia
lighthouse for the blind, CLB, has decent training.
I've heard mainly good things about it and I was pleased with the mobility
service they gave me.
What is neat about CLB, is  that they will come to your work and help
install technology and I believe they can do training at your workplace or
home or at their offices.
They also offer a day camp for kids and special events for them.  I think
this is a good service because blind and visually impaired kids don't get to
do every day fun things with people like themselves and CLB provides good
opportunities for them.

Ashley