[nabs-l] Backpack alternative at convention

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 07:06:00 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I have been playing with a very cool "backpack alternative" for about
two weeks now.  If you carry too much stuff with you and are coming
to National Convention, I’d be happy to show it to you!

As probably most of you who know me are already aware, I tend to
carry everything but the kitchen sink around with me.  My girlfriend
has even threatened to buy me a folding camping sink so that the next
time someone asks if I have it, I can respond with, "Actually..." and
pull the thing out!  It would be SO worth it.  *grin*

Anyway, there are two problems with a backpack: You can't get at
anything in them without stopping to take it off first, and of course
a heavy backpack is literally a pain to wear.  A sling or messenger
bag makes the first problem easier, but makes the second problem much
worse.

That's where this ingenious device comes in.  It's called a BackTPack
(that should be read "Back Tee Pack" if your screen reader of choice
mangles it.)  The company's website is: http://www.backtpack.com/ and
the product doesn't cost significantly more than any quality backpack
would, making it very much worth a look!

The design of the BackTPack is a bit unusual, but completely logical.
Essentially it takes your backpack and splits the bag portion in half
to make two (relatively) thinner bags.  Then it slides these down the
straps so they hang more like messenger bags, one on each side.  The
place where the bag was becomes just a small, flat piece to hold it
all together and attach the backpack straps.  Like nicer backpacks it
has a sternum strap to keep the BackTPack sitting properly on your
shoulders.  It's way less complicated than it sounds, I promise.

The idea behind this arrangement is that it balances the load and
places it vertically on your spine, which is the part of your body
that is intended to support that kind of weight.  It was designed by
a physical therapist who saw one too many school kids hunched over
carrying the weight of school books.  Even a moderately heavy
backpack pretty much ensures bad posture and eventually back pain.

With the BackTPack, you aren't hunched over or pulled backward or off
to either side.  This consequently makes it easier to wear for a
longer period of time, and the whole thing feels lighter than my
backpack for the same contents.

If you're wondering if the BackTPack would interfere with using a
cane, it doesn't in my experience.  I cannot wear messenger and
laptop bags on my left side because they interfere with movement of
my cane-using arm, but I do not have that problem with the BackTPack
at all.  The BackTPack website talks about how useful it is when
using a service animal, but it's just as useful for a cane user and
for the same reason: One of our hands is occupied pretty much all the
time!

Of course a pack is only as good as what it will let you carry.  The
size of the bags on the BackTPack vary slightly based on which of the
three models you're using, but the smallest size is 13 inches square
by 3 inches wide.  The medium/large model 3 is 14 inches by 13 inches
by 3.5 inches.  The bags are soft, so they can fit items that are a
little bigger in one of these dimensions, but you're not going to
cram a 17 inch MacBook Pro into it.  The larger model 3 will hold
about a 15.4 inch laptop.  It easily swallows netbooks, note takers,
iPads with folio cases, etc.

If you look into one of the bags, there are pockets about the size of
a pen pouch you'd put into a three ring binder.  On the wall toward
your body, the pocket has a zippered top.  On opposite wall, the
pocket is sewn into a few pen holders and pocket about four inches
wide.  The model 2 and 3 bags have a mesh bottle holder pocket as
well intended for 16-20 ounce bottles.  A Camelbak 25 ounce bottle
fits, barely, but the large 32 ounce Nalgene bottles are too wide for
the mesh pockets.  The other bag mirrors all of the above, and adds a
strap with a keyring clip toward the front.

Outside, there are two pockets in the front that will hold a cell
phone (including larger phones like the iPhone or Blackberry),
glasses, or whatever you need.  On the outside of each bag is a
pocket big enough to carry a men's wallet (which is not what I'd
suggest putting there, of course!).  On one side, this small pocket
has a mesh window for a bus pass or ID badge, should you need one of
those.

There are two other features which might be really nice, depending on
your circumstances.  First, if you're going to sit down in chair that
has no armrests, a bench, or a seat on a bus that's wide enough,
there is no need to take a BackTPack off.  There's a strap that
hangs down in front on each side called a sit strap.  Buckle it and
have a seat!  All of the weight is taken completely off your
shoulders by the sit strap.  Plus you know how much space you occupy,
so you're unlikely to turn and smack someone with with your backpack.

The other feature is a set of elastic loops on the inside of the bag
intended for a hip belt, should you desire one.  You might find this
useful for longer trips.

And speaking of elastic, purely as an attention to detail matter, all
of the straps have elastic keepers to hold the excess strap so it
isn't flopping about or getting tangled.

If you'd like to see my BackTPack in person, just let me know!  I
will be attending the whole Convention.  I am staying in the overflow
hotel, but I literally take the BackTPack with me everywhere.  Just
reply off-list to this email or give me a call at 503-610-8709 and we
can arrange a time and place.  (I'm still going through the agenda
trying to determine where all I will be and when, and I'll bet I am
not alone in that regard!)

And yes, I AM going to be there this year—my state president tells me
I am not allowed to suddenly find any scary medical problems that
keep me from going.  If I find another tumor or something, I won't
have to worry about it, because Art is likely to kill me first.
*grin*  That is assuming of course a few others who have said similar
things don't beat him to it.  (It's good to know I'm loved, hehe!)

See you all there,

Joseph