[nabs-l] NABS Elections: Sean Whalen for President

Courtney Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 18:44:51 UTC 2011

Sean,

This is a phenomenal, articulate post!

I am exceedingly impressed by your clear, specific goals for the
organization, and the fact that you've clearly thought through how to
implement them.  Not only do you have a wishlist, which is great, but
you clearly know how to turn I Want in to I accomplished.  And that
matters a lot because if wishes were horses, beggars would ride
y'know?  You've not only got to have the horse, but know how to ride
it.

I particularly liked your thoughts on a couple of things.  Firstly:
the committees...all right, that's partially because I'm rather
covetting the position of chief editor for the slate committee *grin*
But it's also because you clearly know how to utalize people's
talents.  Some people are better at editing, while others are great at
soliciting content, as just one example.  So, rather than stepping in
to a committee and then struggling to fit all your disperate talents
together and produce something spectacular, while also factoring in
differences in personality and work styles, you're merely factoring in
the second two, and things go much more smoothly.

As an example of why this is so important, I'm thinking of my high
school student council board.  My high school board was not organized
well; one of the biggest conflicts we had was secretarial work.  Three
or four people would take notes, and then one or two days before they
were due for submission to our principal, they'd throw them in my lap
and be all: make this look presentable.  So, I ended up with loads of
unnecessary work because there were not clearly defined roles, and I
think this is one thing slightly hampering the committees now.

Let me say right off that I adore the membership calls; I think
they're informative and well moderated.  However, oftentimes, we get
multiple messages from multiple people reminding us of the call.  It
would be great if, like in Sean's suggestion, there was one go to
person for the list.  Immediately, when you saw their name in your
inbox, you'd sit up and pay attention because this was membership
related.

The second point I'm incredibly impressed with is your collaboration
with NOPBC.  When I was first introduced to the NFB, because there
wasn't much collaboration between Nabs and the parents, I was simply
given the contact for my chapter President.  That turned out to be a
very good thing, as I required loads of advocation that only someone
extremely well-versed in the system could have provided.

However, I would have loved a larger social network of blind students;
it would have been fantastic to also be handed a contact for a Nabs
board member, who could have shown me the ropes as far as the list and
given me convention tips.

I was extremely fortunate and gained such a person through Dominique
Lawless's intervention, but we rather stumbled in to one another
accidentally; it would have been great to have someone like that from
the get go.

Thank you for such a thoughtful, informative post; may the odds be in
your favor on July 4th!
Courtney