[nabs-l] [nfbWaTlk] class essay

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 07:18:37 UTC 2011

Holy crap this is awesome!
(how's that for a formal letter opening?)
  I actually disagree with this.  A lot.  Maybe these expressions came
about, at least in part, because of the stereotypes of us being
stupid/inattentive/inferior.  But, the fact is, most of the time when
people use them they aren't talking about physical blindness at all!
Are we being racist when we talk about black friday every year, or the
"black death", or some issues being black and white, or blacklisting
someone?  I know I'm not.  When we say someone has an unorthadox way
of doing something, are we saying they aren't part of the Eastern
Orthadox branch of Christianity?  If I tell you all I just got a fat
paycheck from my job, am I making fun of people who are overweight?
The same principle applies here, I think.
  If someone has "blind faith", it just means they can't see what's
really going on because they're mentally blinded by the person/idea
they are following.  When we say "in the country of the blind, the
one-eyed man is king!" (not that I've heard that in casual
conversation), we're saying that when everyone is too stubborn/set in
their ways to look at reality, even someone with a little bit of
insight is superior.  it's a metaphor.  The way it's used in every day
parlains isn't making fun of physically blind people at all, it's
making fun of people with blind minds!  What's that motto at the end
of each of Chris's messages?   "A loss of sight, never a loss of
vision."  Same concept-these sayings and idioms make fun of people
with no vision...heck, I use them sometimes because the imagery fits.
And, when I say "dude!  What are you?  blind or something?", after a
friend runs over a curb or misses an exit from the freeway, I'm not
implying blind people aren't attentive.  I'm just implying we can't
see.  Don't we have real problems to worry about?  Like actual
descrimination maybe?
  Best,
Kirt