[nabs-l] [Nfbnet-members-list] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 05:52:48 UTC 2011

Kirt,
I would not consider having a accessible  currency a luxury. True we have successfully managed our money without much problem, but having to managed inaccessible   currency is something we have had to do not by choice, but by force. With the current system we are forced to rely on the honesty of others and technology to identify our money and not able to persue some employment opportunities such as cashiers because we can not independently identify paper currency. I do not consider this to be a luxury, but necessity just as important as the  ADA itself. True the Talking ATM are a necessity because without it a blind person was forced to rely on some other means of accessing their ATM, but one can reasonablely argue that if a  blind person knose what they are doing (memorize the ATM) or always have a sighted person to help with the ATM it is accessible. Bringing new currency will not mean that all the ATM will have to be changed. Most can just be
 programed to reconize the new notes.

Anmol
I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller