[nabs-l] [Nonetheless] Threw Our Eyes interview, Ride into History, Race for Independence, Wed. June 22, 8:00 pm EDT

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 27 01:16:18 UTC 2011

Hi, Jose[ph,

And, just how would you earn a living, while going through school?
What job would you get?
'Fact seems to me that, we are not the same! Jobs
we can do are dependant on our having some
schooling under our belts, with which we are able
to make a meaningful contribution to some project
or service.   Why?  Because we haven’t got the
skills to keep up.  Why?  Because the same system
that is giving us our little handout (for which
I’m told we should be grateful) has actively
interfered in our efforts to be and do better
than that. As for suing, how, whom, and why?  My
benefits were never actually stopped, only
threatened.  Just enough to keep me jumping for
my government slavemasters.  I was entitled to,
had, and won each of my appeals, so the system
worked as designed. I’m just no longer willing
to be a slave. Joseph On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at
01:18:23PM -0600, Kirt Manwaring
wrote: >Joseph, >  You make great points, and I
really do feel for you.  That's >aweful...like,
maybe get a social security lawyer kind of
aweful. >  All I'm saying is, the way the system
is intended to work (and the >way it works for a
lot of us), SSI is necessary income.  I'm using
it >so I don't starve through school; the minute
I get out and find a >full-time job, I'm saying
goodbye to my SSI for good.  That's how
it >should be-use it to get yourself able to work
then cut the cord.  I >know lots of people abuse
it, I know it's poorly managed, and I
know >you're getting screwed by the system.  But
the way I see it, it's >designed to be a boost up
to equality, not a handout.  Of course, >everyone
doesn't use it that way. >  In any case, best of
luck.  I hope things work out for you.  For >what
it's worth, I'm sorry you're going through all
this crap. >  Best wishes, >Kirt > >On 6/25/11,
T. Joseph Carter <carter.tjoseph at gmail.com>
wrote: >> Kirt, >> >> Social Security and SSI are
still a handout, and they come with >> strings
attached that make getting off of them pretty
difficult. >> Especially if you live in
subsidized housing, collect food stamps, >>
receive utility subsidies, etc.  If you do and
you go and find >> yourself a job that doesn’t
pay enough, you will have a sudden net >>
reduction in your income that already doesn’t
pay the bills. >> >> I’ve decided I’m getting
off this roller coaster even if it makes me >>
homeless in the process, because I’m sick and
tired of living in fear >> that they might take
away my benefits!  I’ve gotten three letters
to >> that effect in the past two years, in the
midst of cancer treatment >> for two of them, all
with the customary 30 day appeal I’d better
take >> advantage of if I want to be able to
survive another month! >> >> I’m tired of
getting paid to NOT work.  I’m tired of living
in places >> where the government intrudes upon
my home three times a year to make >> sure my
landlord isn’t complete pond scum (but allowing
them to be >> one level removed from pond
scum!)  I’m tired of being told that if I >>
start working, my rent will suddenly be 120% of
what anybody in their >> right might would ever
pay for this dump.  And I’m tired of being >>
told that they’re sorry, but I just don’t
qualify for the work >> incentives, or the better
medical coverage, or the exemptions that >> might
possibly allow me to save a few hundred dollars
with which to >> actually get out of here! >> >>
Your not-a-handout Social Security and SSI have
made slaves of far >> too many of us.  Perfectly
able to work, but afraid to try for fear >> that
we’ll lose what little we’ve got.  We are
trapped in a prison of >> learned helplessness,
and the only way out is to see these
things—all >> of them—for what they are:
Government handoutss designed to keep us >>
docile, afraid, and living in poverty. >> >>
I’m done playing that game. >> >>
Joseph >> >> >> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at
09:13:21AM -0600, Kirt Manwaring
wrote: >>>Carley, >>>  First off, I've done a bit
of really light research and I was way >>>liberal
about what I thought the cost of this would
be.  It's probably >>>going to be in the
neighborhood of $100 million, so I was way
off. >>>That'll teach me not to make outlandish
statements with no proof. >>>  But still, the
point I made in my last message stands.  Of
course I >>>don't want the government to write
out a check for all of us-I was >>>trying to
point out that trying to make all the cash out
there more >>>"blind-friendly" is not
necessary.  Just like we don't need
government >>>handouts (I'm not counting SSI as a
government handout because that's >>>money lots
of us genuinely need), we don't need the
government >>>spending $100 million redesigning
currency we can already use with >>>pretty much
no problem.  Honestly, if you think you can't
afford an >>>iBill, there's probably something
you're buying with your $680 a month >>>that you
really don't need. >>>  Just a
thought, >>>Kirt >> >>
get your account info for >> nabs-l: >>
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/kirt.crazydude%40gmail.com
change your list options or get your account info
for
nabs-l: >http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nab
s-l_nfbnet.org/carter.tjoseph%40gmail.com