[nabs-l] Jobs held by blind students

Anjelina anjelinac26 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 23:04:25 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I thought exploring jobs as students would be an interesting thread.
What types have you held as a student?
In high school I worked part time at taco Bell. I believe most jobs are feasible for a person who is blind. The barrier is finding employers who are willing to think outside of the box. Even at Ataco Bell I had to work my way up to washing dishes.
It was mentioned it may be difficult for a blind person to flip burgers do to sanitary regulations. I'm not sure about Burger joints but most fast food items are precooked/prepackaged which just required dropping the meat into a thermalize.
Since I have not yet faced the full-time world of employment,I cannot offer any advice. It is disheartening reading accounts of capable willing job candidates who also face discrimination. We know what we are capable of;  the obstacle is being given a chance.

Anjelina
Sent from my iPhone