[nabs-l] Election Statement: Elizabeth Mohnke for Secretary

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 01:33:53 UTC 2011

Hello All,

They say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step, and so
here I am taking the first step in what I hope to be the beginning of
serving as the next secretary of the National Association of Blind Students.
I am generally not as outspoken as others, so I would like to take this
opportunity to introduce myself, and share how I would like to serve this
organization as it moves into a bright promising future.

I currently serve as the President of the Michigan Association of Blind
Students where I am working towards a degree at a local community college in
sociology. My educational path is far from traditional, and I cannot believe
that it has been almost ten years since I helped create the Michigan
Association of Blind Students. I have served as the secretary for our state
student division as well as for my local chapter. However, I gave up the
position in the student division when I thought my school days were over,
and I gave up the position in my chapter when a younger member wanted to try
her hand at it.

Although I believe there is more to being a secretary than simply taking
minutes, I believe this role is an important one. I enjoy reading the
minutes that are now being posted along with the President's monthly
bulletin, and will continue to make the minutes available to whoever would
like to read them. However, as I have been reading over the minutes that
have been posted along with the President's monthly bulletin, I have noticed
that they seem to be written by different people. If elected as secretary, I
would make the business meetings a priority so that the board would have a
reliable means of taking minutes during meetings.

Another role I believe the secretary should be involved in includes
maintaining accurate contact information, especially as it concerns the
website. As the secretary, I would help make sure that state student
division Presidents have the correct information for contacting their
national representative, and that the national representatives have the
correct contact information for the state student division Presidents. I
currently do not know anything about creating websites, but I would be
willing to learn the basics to help keep the website up to date.

I am generally a rather private individual, so my accomplishments may not be
known to all. Last year when I was walking with someone to the student
seminar, I noticed a bit of a gap between two of the people who were serving
as marshals. Rather than simply making sure this one individual made it to
the meeting, I decided to stand in a place where I thought it might be easy
for people to get lost to make sure that everyone could make it to the
meeting. I was also willing to work a second shift at the exhibit hall table
when I learned that no one would be there during Monte Carlo night. I was
never asked to do either one of these things; I simply did them because I
saw a need and knew that I could help out.

A person I admire greatly once told me that the key to success is having
confidence in your own confidence. I am confident that if I am elected as
secretary that I will serve this organization well. I also believe serving
on the national board will help motivate me to become a better state
division president by allowing me to become more connected to the national
movement.

I look forward to receiving your vote on July 4, 2011. However, if I am not
elected, I whole heartily support those who are elected, and will continue
to serve this organization in whatever capacity that may be. If you have any
questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Mohnke
President,
Michigan Association of Blind Students