[nabs-l] Isn't it ironic?

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:38:01 UTC 2011

Kirt,

Do you have the accessibility option checked? If not, JAWS won't read. As
you say, the text to speech function can be opted out of by
authors/publishers, but all books should be readable by JAWS or another
screenreader.

And, of course, the irony of the initial inaccessible launch wasn't lost on
anybody, but it seems to have been rectified. I'm sure Amazon found it
amusing though.

Finally, regarding the root of all evil, money: not to get all Ayn Rand on
you listers, but please recognize that the profit motive is what has spurred
innovation and product development, and without it we wouldn't have the
plethora of technologies that we enjoy. Capitalism is good. It must be
regulated and smoothed out around the edges, but it has created wealth and a
standard of living that would have never been possible without it. Sorry,
totally off topic, I know.

Take care,

Sean