[nabs-l] working with kids

Andi adrianne.dempsey at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 17:44:41 UTC 2011

It is illegal to not higher someone because of a disability, though many
imploiers do find ways around that law.  I have worked at a summer camp for
blind children a number of years.  I also volonteered at a few other camps
and programs for sighted kids.  I believe my expirience with the camp for
blind kids gave me credentials in the eyes of the sighted.  The main thing
is that you have to prove yourself.  You already know you are not only
capable but a good choice for the job, you have to let them know you can.
Make sure to present them with a resume that emphasizes your expirience with
kids: babysitting, volenteering in big brothers big sisters, tutering, ect.
Have references that can vouge for your abilities in working with kids, have
recommendation letters.  If they have the positive statemens in front of
them they are more likely to consider you than if they have to call and ask
about you.  Do not say you are blind anywhere in the aplication.  If you are
called for an interview it will be because they liked your aplication and
resume.  Once you are at the interview present yourself in a way they can
not dismiss you as a "blind person"  you are a good candidate for the job.
Explain your ways of doing things they do not believe you can do.  IF you
want more expirience before you go, get involved with big brothers big
sisters, or any other volenteer program you can find working with kids.
Offer to lead some activities.  If you go to chirch help out with adventure
clubs or what ever they have for kids.  If not focus on community
oportunities
    You asked how I knew where kids were and what they were doing, just use
your other sences especially your ears.  My friend who is a blind mother
says sighted parence trust her with their kids over other sighted parence
because she seems to have eyes in the back of her head.  My friend responded
that she told her kids that same thing, but the truthe was her ears picked
up on things the kids could hide from eyes.  Kids by nature are noisy, so
when they get quiet is a good time to take a closer look at what they are
doing.  The camp I worked at was lokated in the woods and was a very active
camp.  It is possible, don't give up.  Also at the camp we used a counting
system all the kids had a number and they counted off when we were leaving a
location and then again when at the new location.  I have seen sighted
people find this system useful as well.  That doesn't mean you don't know
the kids and their names and voices but it does help.  I have also seen
sighted people get fooled by a smart ass kid who said another's number where
as the blind person new their voices and knew that kid was not their.  The
blind person was also able to find the missing kid  before the sighted
person.