[nabs-l] Macs Verses PCs

Bernadetta Pracon bernadetta_pracon at samobile.net
Sat Mar 5 21:34:12 UTC 2011

Hey Briana,
Personally, I think a Mac is a great machine to have. They're fully
accessible with voiceover being a fully functional screen reader right
out of the box. You are able to set it up by yourself without any
sighted assistance, because the screen reader is on at the initial
setup window by default. So that's just one of many advantages the mac
has over the PC. Plus, Macs are extremely durable machines, where
hardware is concerned. Because most of the software you would use on
your Mac is produced by Apple, you would have the garentee that it is
compatible and functional with voiceover, with few exceptions. You can
use Open Office as a word processor, in place of Microsoft word, since
word  for apple  isn't very accessible with voiceover as far as I know.
Also, remember that you can always install windows on a mac, and you
can do that without sighted assistance for the most part as well. This
is great, because you basically have two computers in one. Your hard
drive is partitioned in two when you install windows onto a mac. So if
you weren't sure how to do something using the apple operating system,
you could always complete the task on your windows side of the mac.
Also, I've found that Apple's operating systems are more stable and
less clunky than windows. There's a bit of a learning curve when
transition to apple if you've been a PC user, but once you get the hang
of it, it's extremely intuitive.
I think getting amac is definitely a safe bet.

HTH

Bernadetta