[nabs-l] Blind and visually impaired students in education?

Laura Glowacki orangebutterfly87 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 07:23:12 UTC 2011

Ashley's thread made me think of this.  Over the past several
years, I have heard of at least 5 or 6 different blind or
visually impaired students at 5 or 6 different schools being
discouraged from going in to anything in the education field.
Tactics have ranged from intimidating departmental meetings to
find out exactly how the blind person would do everything they
were expected to do as an education major even before the major
was fully declared (unrealistic as even sighted students don't
know that when they first begin), to down right being forced out
of the program towards the end of their degree through obvious
discrimination and not just because they were poor students
and/or teachers..

Is anyone else hearing stories like these?

Laura