[nabs-l] In opposition of divisions

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:10:49 UTC 2011

I did not intend to post on this again, but I would like to bring
something up for consideration.

You say that many areas do not have active chapters, and many chapters
lack the ability to function in the capacity that some divisions can.

I argue that, perhaps, if more effort-- on the organization's part as
well as individuals members-- to support chapters and help them grow and
flourish, we would find chapters have the ability to function in many
aspects that you say are not possible.

Perhaps the divisions have thinned the growth of chapters because we no
longer have to participate as an actual Federationist to feel like we
are supporting causes and initiatives. Please note the word, "feel."
People can now flock to divisions-- many which do not directly take
action to further these causes and initiatives-- but because they are
associated with the Federation, people feel plugged in.

I don't know how many email list I have seen where a person post
information or comments about legislative issues, NFB programs, and the
like-- only to be met with replies about how this list is not the
appropriate forum in which to address that news .  In fact, I believe
when Joe brought up his blind driver challenge comments he mentions in
his post here, (this was another list) the same happened.  This displays
the pulse for the masses considering themselves Federationist, or
associates of the organization.

I can only draw from my own experience, but I have witnessed year after
year the number of students who participate in NABS activities, but
never step foot in a chapter event or even an affiliate one for that
matter.  NABS is important, but when its members fail to understand the
infrastructure of the organization they belong to, yes, I have problems
with this.

We claim to, "boast over 50,000 members," yet our conventions do not
exceed 2500, and our chapters often flounder due to the lack of
involvement from people in the communities, yet, where does this number
derive from?

Believe it or not, the chapters are meant to be the foundation of the
NFB.  Chapters should draw in fresh membership; chapters should help
mold the philosophy we encourage; chapters should provide awareness and
action to the important issues; chapters should link members with the
proper resources including divisions.  Instead, many chapters flounder,
and some fail, while divisions-- not all, but some-- receive promotion
that places chapters on the outskirts.

Joe commented on how other national organizations do not create
divisions.  These organizations thrive on their chapters.  Their work
and mission is accomplished by chapter members.  They do not require
specialized divisions to provide information and resources, and to seek
support and equality with their endeavors.

Federation divisions originally were established because society did not
feel it necessary to include blind people in its construction.  The NFB
created an environment where the blind could seek support, comiseration
and information about various interest-- professionally, academically
and recreationally-- but as Joe pointed out, the day has past when most
pursuits barr the blind, or if they do, legal action can be taken.

Now let me explain myself.  I am by no means suggesting we have nothing
to fight for, nothing to oppose.  We are still finding discrimination an
active part of society.  I joined the NFB because I was sick of dealing
with society's perceptions.  People accept me and the fact that I can
accomplish things, but most still think it is tedious and inefficient
for me to accomplish anything without sight.  I seek true acceptance and
equality.  We see this attitude everyday from employers refusing the
hire blind people, to schools limiting what blind kids can and can not
do, to national groups taking legal action against us, the NFB.  And I
ask, what do most divisions do to combat this?  Or what do they do to
help push legislation or educational efforts?  Few do.  Yet, this is the
basis of what chapters should do at the very least.

We could encourage members and potential members to participate in their
local chapters, and if one does not exist, develop one, so they can
further the goals that bring equality, acceptance and accessibility to
the blind.  Instead, we have thousands of members floating around in
national divisions often unaware of what is happening outside a
particular division, and in no way participating in activities that
promote what the Federation stands for.

It should not take separate divisions to instill the importance of
issues.  Students, parents, guide dog users, employees do not
necessarily require their own group to advance research or support
causes important to them.  I argue that chapters have the potential to
act in each stead and call us to arms.  The problem is that many of us
do not view chapters this way.  I see this happening with my own chapter
where members begin to think the chapter is its own entity and only
functions to support causes specific to itself.  This is backwards
thinking though.  If all the people who currently participate solely in
divisions because they are seeking specific interest, would join a local
chapter, think of how much could be accomplished.

Arielle points out the importance of mentoring.  This is vital to any
organization like the NFB.  Mentoring is the link that cultivates growth
and stamina, but, once again, this is something chapters can do if more
members involved themselves.  Many states lack the resources and
manpower to sustain divisions which means anyone belonging to a national
division may not have access to mentors through that division alone-- at
least not locally.  Chapters stand a better chance-- or they should-- of
growing because the organization is based on the tiered idea of a
national head with state affiliates governing their areas and local
chapters policing for new members and ways to maintain membership.  This
is why every year, during convention, a seminar is held discussing new
and inovative methods to create growth among chapters.

There was a time when multiple divisions in the Federation did not
exist, yet they did not lack growth nor the ability to further goals.
People had to join and, like it or not, they were aware of core issues
and philosophy because chapters reported on the heart of the
organization as well as taking action to promote and advocate these
goals.

I will say this:  The student division and Parents of Blind Children
division seem to be two of the more vital divisions needed within the
Federation.  Not only are these groups active-- at least at a national
level-- but they focus on specific concerns that must be addressed in
the world.  Education must occur as early as possible, and when we reach
a population that allows for this exposure, the better chance we have to
ensure future generations will carry the torch with full belief in the
abilities of the blind.

I am not necessarily making an argument against divisions, but I am
argueing that we must encourage more growth among chapters.  Trust me,
if we lose chapters, we will see the Federation grow stale.  If we do
not cultivate the foundations on which this organization was built, we
will not withstand the test of time.

What Joe and others are merely attempting to do is to sharpen our
minds-- get us thinking and moving.  We learn from the past, but without
thinking towards the future, we can not experience longevity.  We must
consider all options and avenues even if they seem impossible or
ludacris.  Complacency is not an option we should be ready to accept.

At the risk of droning on and on, I will sign off.  Besides, I am
getting sleepy and my coherancy is beginning to wane, if it ever exist!
*smile*

Bridgit

Message: 9