[nabs-l] nabs-l Digest, Vol 53, Issue 17

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 13 22:04:09 UTC 2011

Culture is based on a civilization containing its own religion, customs,
beliefs, language and code of ethics.  This does not define an
organization like the NFB or ACB.  Yes, we have a philosophy about
blindness itself, but this "philosophy" is strictly about how one lives
as a blind person in one's own established culture.

In fact, there is information on the NFB's website regarding this very
topic, and the same point is made-- the NFB is not a culture or even
sub-culture.

Any values or beliefs we hold are only united by our blindness, but if
we were to look at each individual, we would find these concepts vary.
Organizations like the NFB contain people coming from all socio-economic
backgrounds with differing views on religion and belief systems.

And in anthropological and historical terms, we certainly do not have a
common language unique to us nor do we have customs specific to our
group.

Because we mostly agree on what blindness means-- a minor disability
that allows us to achieve equal success-- this does not mean we create a
culture.  We use a cane or dog to navigate, but this is our equivalence
to using eyes; many of us use Braille, but it is merely a tactile of the
language already used by society at large; we have views about how blind
people should live and be treated, but these are based on our concepts
of disability, and they are based on general rules of how people in
general should be treated.

So I believe using the word culture is a misuse of the word.  In fact,
saying that the NFB is its own culture places a distinction between us
and those who are not us which creates a divide.  We live, work and play
in this society so our culture is the one adopted by our civilization
and the group (family and friends) we associate ourselves with.

By your argument, the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts are their own culture
too, or The Daughters of the American Revolution or PETA.  Because we
have common interest and choose to organize to promote our common
interest and goals, does not mean we have developed a culture.

Bridgit

Message: 18