[nabs-l] skimming

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 23:58:45 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I am stuck catching up on missed work with hundreds of pages to be read quickly. Like, yesterday.

I read mostly from RFBD recorded materials, and most if not all books fail to take full advantage of DAISY features to make books really most useful to all.

I have no idea how to skim and browse through a poorly marked RFBD book. There is no physical structure like paragraph indentations, chapter and section headings, boxes, charts, italics, and other text booky features to ease the study process.

Kurzweil may make this easier to accomplish with their browse features, but I haven't tried getting materials from bookshare since RFBD tends to have my texts in their collection.

The study process is so much easier if I have a human reader, but I can't carry one in my pocket :D

I know that the successful student does not read material from cover to cover, and there is yet no full navigation solution  for a complete ability to navigate all of a book by exploring its parts, skimming, and extracting the author's thoughts.

RFBD could make more scholars if their books would more closely comply with DAISY standards.

i would be really interested to hear how you get this done.

Looking for a better way to read,

Antonio Guimaraes