[nabs-l] skimming

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:28:56 UTC 2011

Disagree,

Students learn better, think more critically, and extrac the excential information from interaction with text, and not even the simple act of reading and taking notes. Notes serve me only to rewrite what I need to learn. Interaction allowes greater participation, better attention, and superior comprehention of a material.

Text books are not written as novels, and jumping throu paragraphs allowes one to decide what to read, and what to skip. I want to learn what I want to learn and not have to sit for weeks trying to get every detail down for a test that will only require a specific set of knowledge and information.

Further more, a paper requires research, and students, even need to plow though hundrest of pages from douzens of articles just to decide what to write, and how to write it.

Now imagine having to read every single word of every single article you think may have something in it for you.

I would rather read critically than to read continuously.

Antonio Guimaraes