[nabs-l] confused - regarding - NFB Google Apps complaint

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:19:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

Alex and Mary have got it pretty much right on point, but I will share a
couple brief additional thoughts:

We are filing against the academic institutions and not Google itself
because the law (ADA and IDEA, I think) have requirements for accessibility
for all students. There is no law requiring corporations to make their
software products accessible. That is part of what NFB is driving at with
the Tech Bill of Rights.

The complaints are being filed against the four schools because these
schools have actual instances of blind students or faculty not being able to
use the applications. You cannot sue or file complaints based on
hypothetical situations, there must be actual harm being done to an actual
person to have standing. That is my understanding anyway. And, yes, it does
set a favorable precedent when we win these cases. Fewer institutions will
implement technologies that are inaccessible if they know they are just one
lawsuit away from being forced to revamp what they are doing.

The idea that this is just some publicity grab, as some might consider the
blind driver challenge, of which I myself am skeptical, is inaccurate. This
is a case of an organization standing up and taking action to protect the
rights of, and increase opportunities for, its membership. This, in my
opinion, is some of the bread and butter of what NFB is for.

There is nothing wrong with filing lawsuits. That is how laws are given
teeth. Laws on the books are useless unless they are enforced, and it is
incumbent upon those who want them enforced to ensure that they are.

Take care,

Sean