[nabs-l] Blind Majority

Jordan Richardson lilrichie411 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 23:59:13 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I believe that, because of the way that the organization has grown over
time, we will always have a majority of blind people even though we may
invite more sighted people into the organization.  Seeing the NFB as
comparable to the black civil rights movement, when they first started I am
sure that sit ins and other assemblies were all black people, but when the
movement grew larger, and started to expand, more and more white people
joined the cause, and to my knowledge they never had a rule about a majority
of black people making up the movement.

Also, regarding the parents division, what would happen when so many parents
remain members after their children are adults that the ratio of blind to
sighted member begans to come closer and closer to equal.

Just my two cents.

Any thoughts?

Respectfully,
Jordan Richardson
President, Minnesota Association of Blind Students