[nabs-l] Blind Majority

Serena Cucco serenacucco at verizon.net
Sat Mar 19 00:16:06 UTC 2011

Well put, Darian.

Serena

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Darian Smith
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 5:14 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Blind Majority

Hi all,
 As you all may well know, every state affiliate, state
chapter/division,  national division and  even the national board it's
self requires that  the majority of it's members and  members of board
of directors and officers be  blind,  except that  in the case of the
parents division, that requirement was waved.

 I think that that requirement should be kept in place, but that we
should look to recruit sighted members into our  organization.
The recruitment of these members should not be utilized as nor viewed
as a reason to back- peddle on our    philossophical views on
blindness, but  to better educate and strenthin our cause and belieffs
in our ability to  collectivly act as blind people, and our ability to
work with sighted folks who believe in what we do.

 my view of any movement, and of any organization that  is a part of
or fuels a movement, is that while they  may have an ethnic, gender,
or other such majority, they also have a minority of people who
believe in the cause in just  the same way the  majority does.  This
is a very healthy thing, to me.

  just some thoughts,
  Darian

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/jorgeapaez%40mac.com

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dsmithnfb%40gmail.co

Darian Smith
Skype: The_Blind_Truth
Windows Live: Lightningrod2010 at live.com
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/goldengateace

"The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

- Robert Byrne